Saturday, February 11, 2012

Running, but not blogging. YIKES

A lot has happened in a month.  I went home to NY for my cousin's Retirement Ceremony from the Air Force - 27+ years of service.  Quite an accomplishment!  I'm so proud of cousin Tom! 

While home, I ran in 40 degree rain for 4 miles!  I came back to Colorado and felt like I was dying at 1/4 mile.  It was very discouraging! 

I'm still going to Curves to strengthen my muscles, which includes my lungs.  I wasn't very consistant through January, but I'm hoping to be through February.  I joined the Curves Complete, which has shown me a new way of eating healthy.  The weight is coming off, slowly it seems, but nonetheless, it's coming off. 

I took Amber to the dog park and ran one lap, which is .7 miles.  It was an improvement!  The next time I took her, I ran 1.5 miles.  Woohoo!  Outside in the good ole Colorado air . . . or lack of it. 

Then it snowed and I haven't been back to the park.  I have, however, been running on the ratwheel for 3 miles every other day.  I'm now running at 5.1 mph, which is about 11:45 min/miles.  Not bad!   I'm pleased with my progress so far. 

The asthma part:  When it's cold out, I need to wear a mask for about the first 5 - 10 minutes of running.  Once my lungs are warmed and used to the run, I can take it off.  Some days, I take my inhaler before running and some days, I don't.  Some days, I provoke a small asthma attack and other days, I don't.  It's getting to the point where I really don't have to do that anymore. 

At first, 5.1 mph seems a bit slow, but I don't want to push the speed just yet.  Once I'm running an easy 3 miles, then I will start increasing the speed.  I have a year to prepare for the Disney Half Marathon.  Last summer, I didn't think it would be possible and wanted to cry.  This year, there's hope!

Curves, a healthy diet, a face mask, and running at a slow, but steady pace will get me there!  Hopefully, it'll make me 60 lbs lighter.  I've lost 13 lbs so far, so only another 47 to go!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment